SACONS (Small Arms Control System) is software system developed in recent web technology. The system is used by different state institutions like: police stations, border posts, public security institutions, various state commissions, etc.
- Is compliant with the relevant EU/EC legislation and agreements concerning Small Arms and Light Weapons (SALW) and in particular with the following document:
- European Directive 91/477/EEC of 18 August 1991 concerning Harmonization of National Weapons Possession Legislation and its amendment in 2008
- Provides a software solution that can be localised to be compliant with legislation;
- Can be used on any existing IT platforms;
- Can be translated into any other local language.
Some of the system features are:
- Management of small arms, firearm parts and ammunition within the state;
- Management of import/export, producers and stockpiles for small arms, firearm parts and ammunition;
- Management of requests for firearm, firearm parts, ammunition, permit extension for weapon, weapon deactivation, firearm legalization, etc, from natural persons and legal entities;
- Management of license requests (arms, firearm parts, ammunition), permits (arms, firearm parts, ammunition) from natural persons and legal entities;
- Management of reviews and decisions (approval/rejection) for requests;
- Management of information for weapon holders, producers, importers, transporters and exporters;
- Tracking of weapons history and history of weapons/firearm parts/ammunition holders;
- Automated management of information flow in the system;
- Management of information about armed persons (foreigners) who pass through state;
- Generating advanced reports (reports for all weapons, reports for weapons by status, reports for persons who possesses weapons, reports for ammunition, reports for permits issued, reports for weapons/ammunitions/firearm parts registration, reports for weapons in stockpile, etc.);
- The possibility of integration with other digital systems (ex., civil registry, business register, NGO register, etc.);
- Management of unique identification for all weapon barrels;
- Management of small arms definitions, according to the law;
- Management of ammunitions definitions, according to the law, etc.
All weapons and ammunition inside the state can be evidenced in the system including information and details: where did they come from, who owns them, who was their seller, etc. So the system allows tracking/monitoring of weapon from the importation/production to the current owner, while maintaining the possession history.
Using this tool will enable the facilitation of the following achievements:
- FULL control over Small Arms in the country according to UN, EU and OSCE standards
- Control over import, export, transit, registration and stockpile of SALW and ammunition?
- Detailed history of every SALW in country
- User friendly tool to support your EU driven legislation
- Tool that provides additional guidance to your civil servants or users on categorization and identification of weapons
- Secure access to these databases
- Additionally a link to your Ballistic Identification System for faster Crime solving, etc.
The software has two main components or management information systems (MIS). These are:
Registration of Firearms (designated Component A)
This can include operations related to keeping track of firearms owned by individual and/or legal entities (i.e. hunting associations, shooting associations, security companies, registered dealers) and the amount of ammunition authorised to possess. In addition to basic identification of a firearm (i.e. brand, model, caliber, and manufacturer, country of production, type and category) and its serial number, it is possible to produce details on permits that are issued for owning, possessing and carrying a particular firearm and its owner, to allow police and other officials to carry out checkups.
Management of the Weapon Stockpiles (designated Component B)
This can include operations related to the stockpile management of arms, weapons, ammunition and/or explosives in magazines, approved warehouses or amories, such as a local police station or central storage place. It is possible to identify weapons, the users and the storage location of equipment, when not in use.
Every individual firearm, weapon or ammunition registered in the system, is identified and processed as belonging to one or both of the components, outlined above. Each Component has its own requirements, in terms of operations, reports and queries to the database; however all components will share the database.
To ensure that potential users need minimal training, the visual User Interface (i.e. the screens) is user friendly and accessible as possible. It is based on a ‘one-click away’ principle or can be automatically programmed.
Global Features for the System
a) HIGHLY SECURE
b) MULTIPLE LANGUAGE LOCALISATIONS
c) CLIENT ACCESSIBILTY TO THE SERVER
e) HELP SYSTEM
f) CUSTOMISABLE DATA ENTRY FORMS AND LOGOS
g) DROP DOWN MENUS
h) FIREARM’S/ WEAPON’S IDENTIFICATION
i) IBIS INTERFACE
j) FRIENDLY SERVER APPLICATION AND PLATFORM
k) HIGH DATABASE CAPACITY
l) EASY AUDIT FACILITIES
m) DATA SHARING AND EXPORT POSSIBILITY
n) INTERNAL DATA SHARING AND TRANSFER
o) HISTORY OF FIREARMS/ WEAPONS, INCLUDING OWNERSHIP
p) MANDATORY FIELDS HIGHLIGHTED
q) LINK TO PERSONNEL and BUSINESS REGISTER:
s) PRINT FUNCTION:
u) BACK-UP CAPABILITY
v) PRINT SCREEN CAPABILITY
w) SOFTWARE CLICK LICENCE ON INSTALLATION
This system is implemented and fully functional through the relevant institutions of Republic of Kosovo.
- Software Development
- Software Testing & QA
- Software Training
- Project Management
- Integration & Migration
- Maintenance & Support
- Ministry of Internal Affairs